Craig Thomson joins Edinburgh City

Edinburgh City FC today announces the signing of former Scotland Under 21 International, Craig Thomson.

The 26 year-old midfielder was previously a youth player at Heart of Midlothian FC, where he was managed by Jim Jefferies, the Club’s current Sporting Director. More recently, he played for Kelty Hearts JFC in the East Region Super League.

The Club acknowledges Craig’s previous conviction in 2011 for offences he committed in 2010 and does not condone his behaviour in any way. However, the Club’s Board, management, playing staff and main sponsor collectively believe that Craig has completed his rehabilitation and we look forward to giving him the opportunity to return to playing in the SPFL.

The Club will be making no further comment.

12 thoughts on “Craig Thomson joins Edinburgh City

• July 4, 2017 at 11:05 am

Absolutely disgusting. I won’t be attending another game and I’ll be returning my shirt.

There’s absolutely no excuse for hiring a convicted paedophile.

• July 4, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Just mentioning Criminal Conviction without any acknowledgement for what he actually did. Shocking. As mentioned, convicted Sex Offender, no standards, nor morals. Cannot wait for some of the oppositions fan songs next season.

• July 4, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Poor decision

• July 4, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Every offence carries a sentence and once served the matter is legally discharged.
    The description given by the contributors proves they know very little about the case which in the eyes of the law is now over.
    Having watched him at Kelty Hearts over the last year he is an outstanding player who, having paid a high price for his indiscretion should now be given his chance.
    All the best Tomo, we will miss you at Kelty Hearts and will always welcome you back should you choose to return.

• July 4, 2017 at 9:28 pm

I know fine well what he did which is why I’m so disgusted that the club has signed him.

‘The first girl was 13 when he first approached her online. Although she had her age and date of birth on her Facebook profile, Thomson engaged her in sexual chat, and asked her about her body parts.

After she had turned 14 he told her he wanted to have sex with her and sent her a photograph of naked male private parts.

The second girl had known the footballer since she was small, and was 12 years old when he approached her online.

He discussed sexual acts, made inappropriate comments about her body and asked her to expose herself online

• July 5, 2017 at 6:42 am

Ok I accept that but is there not a punishment for this crime, was the punishment not meted out, was the price of this not paid by the player ?
    If the law deemed the offence serious enough to give him a life sentence as you have they would have done it.
    Grave error on his part, reprehensible I agree but having paid the price the law demanded for it and undergone rehabilitation, I would suggest the guy be given a chance. I won’t be making any more comment on this matter.

• July 6, 2017 at 9:26 am

Rehab dosn’t fix a problem like being a beast. SHOCKING move by the club. And i’m looking for full refund of my season ticket as i will not be back untill he leaves regardless of results on the pitch

• July 6, 2017 at 9:32 am

Craig Thomson’s fine has been paid and he has spent his time on the register. He lost his career at the top and that in itself was a big punishment. He may have “completed his rehabilitation” and have no intention of offending again.

That does not change the fact that someone working in the public eye as a footballer and being seen as a role model by children should not have this sort of stain on their character.

Of course Edinburgh City has to acknowledge and condone Craig Thomson’s past conviction but that doesn’t make it acceptable for me, or many others, I’d imagine.
    Forgiveness is important and people should not be judged only on their past actions, but for me, in this instance, the predatory nature of the offence makes this a bad decision.

• July 6, 2017 at 9:35 am

And to clarify, I would not attend another game while CT is at the club.

• July 8, 2017 at 11:24 am

I understand that you are annoyed that we have signed this player but you have to understand that we are not a rich club that can pass an on an opportunity to sign a player of this quality. Please don’t just be plastic fans and return your season tickets just because this club is poor.

• Pingback: Misconceptions and Facts: Lies and Truth About the Business of Modeling